Imagine you are sitting around the house by yourself, when your cell phone rings. You pick it up, check the display, and discover that the call is coming from your home's land line. Unnerved, you answer the call. On the other end of the line you hear banging and scratching noises.
Dog pretends to be burglar; terrifies owner
A successful prank by Maya, the yellow lab
How scared would you be? Personally, I would be terrified. But this is the very scenario which dog owner Bruce Gardner of Orem, UT faced. Gardner assumed that a mentally disturbed burglar was in his home playing a prank, so he did the sensible thing: he dialed 911.
When police arrived, they investigated the situation thoroughly but were unable to find any signs of a break-in or any other untoward events. Puzzled, the police finally left. It wasn't until several hours later that Gardner was able to identify the culprit: his dog Maya.
After police left, Gardner went searching for his land line's cordless phone handset. Unable to locate it, he finally had to resort to calling himself. He was finally able to locate the handset outside in the garden, where it had been dropped by the prankster - but it still bore signs of the event, in the form of "tooth marks on the back of the phone."
Apparently Maya swiped the handset and stealthily slipped outside to play with her new treasure. In chewing on the phone, she managed to hit "Redial," which called Gardner's cell phone. The handset was in pretty good shape, which leads Gardner to believe that the swift arrival of the Orem police department distracted Maya from her task.
Pets frequently manage to get themselves in trouble with the Redial and pre-programmed phone buttons. A few years ago, a "hero cat" dialed 911 when his owner fell out of his wheelchair and was unable to reach his medical alert call button. In 2008 an assistance dog named Buddy validated his training by dialing 911 when his owner had a seizure.
And earlier this year, a choking Bassett hound in the UK managed to save his own life when he dialed their emergency services number (999, unlike our 911) while choking. The emergency dispatcher heard "nothing but heavy breathing and gasping," and dispatched police to the residence. Police found that George had managed to get wrapped up in the phone's cord, and would certainly have died if they hadn't been sent to the scene.